Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lnwayne
Participant

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 2004 Feb 08 :  15:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know what happened to Jack Ellis - he was Latin master at SBHS from about 1955?

Bill Potts
Participant Emeritus

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 2004 Feb 09 :  17:30:41  Show Profile  Visit Bill Potts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have some vague memory of someone telling me, in response to my own curiosity, that he died. However, don't take my word for it; I certainly haven't seen his obit in any of the current series of Summer Times.

No doubt, one of our former First XV team members knows something.

Jack Ellis left and then returned to the school while I was there. When he returned, I was in the 6th form and I took a year of Latin, along with a handful of others, in Room 17. (That was when I was suffering from the delusion that I might be Oxford or Cambridge material.)

I remember, during his first sojourn, asking a master (I forget which one) about the meaning and origin of gratis. He sent me to ask Jack Ellis, who spent at least five minutes telling me about the origin of the word and its various derivatives, including the French word, gratuit. There was certainly no doubt about his erudition and his love of the language.

My only criticism of him was his tendency to bathe one in a fine spray of saliva whenever he warmed to a topic. You might say he was a very fluid speaker.

Bill Potts
Roseville, CA
Go to Top of Page

Alan Bridgewater
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 2004 Feb 10 :  08:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jack Ellis moved from Scarborough in 1973, presumably when he retired, to live in Stamford Bridge, near Pocklington. His son moved to Pocklington School, where I taught, to take his O-level. Jack joined our staff as part-time teacher of Classics in September of that year. His son passed his O-level and Jack moved back to Scarborough and his son attended the sixth form college for his A-level. That would be in 1975 as he was at Pocklington when Joey Marsden died(1974?) and we went together to the funeral.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Bridgewater
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 2004 Feb 10 :  11:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill Potts mentions that Jack Ellis "left and returned" to S.B.H.S. while he was there. These intervening years were spent as a Classics master at Rossall School in Lancashire. He told me that Joey "talked him into returning" to Scarborough to take over the Rugby as well as teaching Classics.
Go to Top of Page

lnwayne
Participant

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 2004 Feb 14 :  04:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. Popular gossip was that Jack Ellis had been a rugby player of some distinction, having once been scrum half for England. His career was however ended by the war.
Go to Top of Page

Revan Tranter
New Participant

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 2004 Mar 20 :  15:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe Jack Ellis had played rugby for England: I'd heard it was for Wales. My primary recollection dates to a fierce winter's field day on Oliver's Mount, playing rugby, when Mr. Ellis noticed I was weaing gloves. That's where Bill Potts's memory proves correct, since Ellis's instant and furious indignation led to my soon being bathed "in a fine spray of saliva."
Go to Top of Page

Coop
New Participant

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 2004 May 17 :  11:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jack Ellis on one occasion showed the class [3A1954?] his various rugby caps. There was certainly one for England [stand off?]and I believe for Durham County and Durham Uni.

JOHN COOPER
Go to Top of Page

PhilW
Regular Participant

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 2004 May 17 :  18:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Intrigued by this since my Dad told me Jack had played scrum half for England, I have done a quick (!) search and with a wild guess that he played just before the war I found the following
http://tinyurl.com/35ljd and
http://tinyurl.com/34oge and
http://tinyurl.com/2jgny
So it appears that JE was a Wakefield player when capped (note also that Jeff Dowson -OS - contributed to the History of Wakefield book in last link) and typically only played one game for England and his replacement only played two! Good consistent selection policy.
It also says that Jack was born October 1912 and is aged 91 - so is he still knocking around?? Can someone find out??

Go to Top of Page

PhilW
Regular Participant

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 2004 May 17 :  18:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just realised that it says he was Captain for his one and only game! - more consistent selection policy!!!
Go to Top of Page

Michael Kemp
Participant

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 2004 May 18 :  15:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I don't think that's what your first two links say: they say he was capped once for England, but zero times as captain.

I was impressed that the Wakefield centenery history (in your third link) chose to put Jack Ellis's photograph -- as one of only three players in the first hundred years' history of the club to be so recognized -- on the cover. He must surely have had a distinguished record with Wakefield, one would surmise. And probably the author of that volume would know whether he's still alive.

Good internet sleuthing!

Michael Kemp [1954-1962]
mak@crai.com (office)
mak@sprintmail.com (home)
Go to Top of Page

Michael Kemp
Participant

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 2004 May 18 :  15:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And . . . after spending a little more time with one of your links, I see that a major (probably the primary) reason why he was selected for one international game only -- a narrow victory over Scotland at Murrayfield in March 1939 -- is that that was the last game that the England team played until January 1947, almost eight years later.

MAK
Go to Top of Page

PhilW
Regular Participant

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 2004 May 18 :  19:28:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are quite right about the captaincy - afraid I didn't read the question carefully enough!! An excuse that I often used after failing exams.
Without wishing to give the impression that I am a bit of a web geek I have now found that the author of the Wakefield history is still active at the club and I have sent him an e-mail asking if he has any more details about JE.
Incidentally Michael, the last time we had any contact was when I was a horrible thirdformer and I wrote something very rude on a blackboard and you and Pete Taylor gave me a real telling off (quite rightly!)and I was VERY frightened. You were joint head boy with Pete, and I see you both figure prominently on the Honours Board photos. Is that you next to Dave Burnley on the '59 school photo??
Go to Top of Page

PhilW
Regular Participant

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 2004 May 19 :  00:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reply already from Richard Lowther at Wakefield RUFC.
Will keep you informed of any developments

"Hi Philip

David Ingle, who compiled the Wakefield History
booklet visited Jack, I believe sometime last year. He
did mention how he was and where he was living, but I
can't remember what he said. I will get in touch with
David and see what he remembers and let you know what
he says.

Richard "
Go to Top of Page

Bill Owens
New Participant

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 2005 May 10 :  22:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I came across Jack in Northampton about 15? years ago-well a long time ago.I spotted this familiar-looking chap at a house across the road from where I was living and I consulted an old school photo just to confirm what I really knew before making myself known.Jack was visiting his son who was teaching at a local school and hadn't really changed since I had last seen him at the school inthe 50's.I think he said he was living in Surrey.I only saw him a couple of times because his son moved away.

Bill Owens
Go to Top of Page

PhilW
Regular Participant

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 2007 Dec 04 :  16:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In papers today that Jack Ellis "England's oldest surviving international" has died aged 95.
Condolences to his family.
http://www.rfu.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/RFUHome.England_Detail/StoryID/18253
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7126724.stm
Also in Telegraph page S14 (but not in online version)
Go to Top of Page

PhilW
Regular Participant

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 2007 Dec 04 :  20:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also at (the reports are all the same but his memory is honoured on several rugby sites and there are details of the funeral service for those interested)
http://www.scrum.com/39_49557.php
http://www.rbs6nations.com/news_5986.htm
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Old Scarborians Discussion Forum © 2000-02 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000